Press "Enter" to skip to content

Minutes General Assembly 2024

Participants: Mar, Pilar, Pedro, Ofek. Robert, Estef, Paula, Henk, Oli, Pavel, Julia, Carmen.

We agreed to do without a moderator.

The following is based on Dennis’ notes. It was hard to both participate and take clear notes; if people feel something is poorly represented, please send a message and I’ll change it. Also if you prefer I remove names, let me know.

  1. Overview of the year / finances.
    Events 2023 can be seen online (pretty much one each month).
    Finances: lost about 2.500e, but part of that was due to expenses that don’t happen each year (bought a van, boiler broke because of a flood, lot of rooms were painted). People who want to see the detailed overview can ask Dennis in person. Right now the Foundry has very little money (and some outstanding debts).
  2. Dennis received a fine for not complying with hotel regulations.
    Asamblea agrees that the Foundry pays the lawyers (now 242e, will stay under 1000e). Confident we will win, but knowing how Spain works it might take a long time.
    There is agreement that we should check people’s ID when they register. This should be done by the person who checks someone in. Taking a picture of the ID is not legal, but checking if the information they gave is correct is legal, and can save us a lot of trouble.
  3. Join Commoning Space Network (European umbrella for projects like the Sindicato de la Tierra).
    The Asamblea agrees the association the Foundry will join CSN as a member. (Cost still unclear, but under 50e / year.)
  4. Join Sindicato de la Tierra (to be founded very soon).
    The Asamblea agrees the association the Foundry will join the Sindicato as a member. (This is free.) Anyone who would like to become a member as an individual should contact Dennis directly (it would be good to have some members).
  5. Can the school project ‘Peripatos’ continue in the Teatro for now?
    No one has a problem with that. Assembly agrees heating costs should be covered by parents (we can estimate). Also it would be good if the parents make sure the space is safe, clean and suitable for children. If an inspection comes it should all be in great condition and not reflect negatively on the Foundry.
  6. How to deal with subsidized events?
    The previous general assembly decided that the Foundry does not apply for structural funding, but will support applications done by other people if they ask for it (but they are responsible). But how to make sure this does not lead to conflicts about money?
    Everyone agrees on the need for transparency. Putting a blog post after the event that maps the money flows is an acceptable solution for that.
    But if people use the Foundry as a vehicle for grant applications, there should perhaps be a filter as well. This can be a telegram group of people interested in ‘curating’ the Foundry, and that can be contacted by people who want to do an event.
    Volunteers for this group: Pedro, Ofek, Estef, Dennis. We should also put a message about it in the old Foundry Eventos WhatsApp group.
  7. See 8.
  8. Planned events for 2024 (not yet confirmed).
    Late April: Meeting homeschoolers Galicia.
    May 15: San Isidro? Would be fitting, as the church turns 400 this year.
    May/June: spring meeting Aldear (public event).
    June/July: Applied for an artist mobility grant for three musicians and two writers to come to the Foundry for one or two months.
    From June: Other event to install the windmill (after that accounts can be settled).
    July: Burn the Foundry.
    August: The Animals We Live With (reading group of texts about animals).
    Robert suggests a Petanca tournament.
    Dennis wants to do weekly cinema nights (see point 13).
    People are free to propose more events.

    Henk asks if it is possible to do ‘closed’ events and mark them on the calendar (he and Cris are interested in doing some things in this format). Dennis thinks this is possible, but long-term residents cannot be thrown out for a closed event. There seems to be agreement about this.
    There is also discussion about a guiding thread in event planning; who will do it, without taking too much power?
  9. Ideas of who wants to live in the van?
  10. New greenhouse?
    Experience has taught us that due to a constant change of residents, most efforts at growing stuff have been a waste.
    Robert: You grow a garden at your home because you live here. Here people come, do something, and then it falls apart again.
    Mar: Garden fails 70 times a year.
    Perhaps it’s time to give up having a real productive garden and better to not spend money on a greenhouse. Julia proposes doing some permaculture here based on our needs and capacities, making something very low-key that can be turned into something more productive at a later date. She can maybe come once a month to help with this. It could also be more event-based in the future (agroforestry events at Foundry?).
  11. How to better organize the volunteer system?
    Mar: We’ve seen it many times. People come, say they will do something, but know there are no consequences to not doing it, so they don’t do it. Suggestion: People fix their objectives per week or month, then if they don’t meet them (and have no good reason) they pay for that period.
    Pedro: Better with an escrow; they pay 500e in advance, and get it back if they did the work.
    Robert: Distinguish between those who come with their own project, and those who work for the house.
    Henk: Ideally you want volunteers with an intrinsic motivation; that work on the project because they feel it is a good project. Who will make sure that others do their job? How to motivate the manager? Maybe it’s better if someone is paid to organize basic things.
    Dennis: I spend a lot of time chasing people, telling them to do what they said they would do. It’s a shitty job.
    Estef: Maybe the place shouldn’t have volunteers at all. It’s not good for the Foundry and not good for them. Often the people it attracts are people with few other options, and that’s not the audience we want to keep at the Foundry.
    Dennis: But then who is gonna do the work that is now done by volunteers (keep animals alive, welcome guests, do basic maintenance, make sure someone lives there). Right now there is no money for a caretaker.
    Henk: Perhaps the place needs structural funding (grant) rather than be run by volunteers.
    Dennis: That would mean overturn a decision of the last general assembly, which needs a pretty broad consensus. I also wouldn’t support a change like that (but I wouldn’t block it neither), and it’s important to know what it entails: lot of paperwork, bank account checks, etc.
    Pedro: If you go that way you become a bureaucrat.
    Ofek: It’s not good to attract people who are there because they can’t pay rent. Volunteers need to be assessed on a case by case basis though, can’t grasp it all in rules.
    Mar: It’s necessary to have someone overseeing volunteers.
    This becomes a long but productive discussion. Clear is that there is a need for more accountability and a clear structure.
  12. How to attract more people in winter?
    Not sure. More events?
  13. How to keep neighbors involved.
    There have been people detaching from the project because of infighting and emotional damage. The issue around the Grupo de Cuidados that was founded at the last general assembly is one case in point. But – as Henk says – we are all still here trying to make something out of it.
    People respond positively to Dennis’ idea for recurring events (cinema nights, dinners).
    Estef is in favor of an assembly of the new distributed presidency (see point 14) every few months.
  14. New president? Dennis wants less responsibilities.
    Estef proposes a distributed presidency. Lauriña, Cris, Estef, perhaps Henk (he will think about it), Mar, Ofek, Oly, Roberto and Dennis want to be part of this group. But the group has a clear hierarchy, and it can delegate tasks. Estef will set up this group.
  15. Various.
    Henk asks to take back the fence he installed when there were chickens (and which he paid out of his own pocket); no one has a problem with that.


Participantes: Mar, Pilar, Pedro, Ofek. Robert, Estef, Paula, Henk, Oli, Pavel, Julia, Carmen.

Hacemos la asamblea sin moderador.

Lo siguiente se basa en las notas de Dennis. Fue difícil participar y tomar notas claras; Si la gente siente que algo está mal representado, envíe un mensaje y lo cambiaré. Y prefieres que borro los nombres, dejame saberlo también.

  1. Resumen del año / finanzas.
    Los eventos de 2023 se pueden ver en línea (prácticamente uno cada mes).
    Finanzas: perdímos unos 2.500e, pero parte de eso se debió a gastos que no ocurren todos los años (compré una furgoneta, la caldera se rompió por una inundación, se pintaron muchas habitaciones). Las personas que quieran ver la descripción detallada pueden preguntarle a Dennis en persona. Ahora mismo Foundry tiene muy poco dinero (y algunas deudas pendientes).
  2. Dennis recibió una multa por no cumplir con las normas del hotel. La Asamblea acuerda que la Fundición pague a los abogados (ahora 242e, permanecerá por debajo de 1000e). Confiados en que ganaremos, pero sabiendo cómo funciona España puede que tardemos mucho. Hay acuerdo en que debemos comprobar la identificación de las personas cuando se registran. Esto lo debe hacer la persona que registra a alguien. Tomar una fotografía del documento de identidad no es legal, pero verificar si la información que dieron es correcta es legal y puede ahorrarnos muchos problemas.
  3. Commoning Space Network (paraguas europeo para proyectos como el Sindicato de la Tierra).
    La Asamblea acuerda la asociación a la que Foundry se incorporará como miembro del CSN. (El costo aún no está claro, pero es inferior a 50e/año).
  4. Sindicato de la Tierra (que se fundará muy pronto).
    La Asamblea acuerda la asociación en la que Foundry se incorporará al Sindicato como socio. (Esto es gratis). Cualquiera que desee convertirse en miembro como individuo debe comunicarse directamente con Dennis (sería bueno tener algunos miembros).
  5. ¿Podrá continuar por ahora el proyecto escolar ‘Peripatos’ en el Teatro?
    Nadie tiene ningún problema con eso. La asamblea está de acuerdo en que los costos de calefacción deben ser cubiertos por los padres (podemos estimar). También sería bueno que los padres se aseguraran de que el espacio fuera seguro, limpio y adecuado para los niños. Si llega una inspección, todo debería estar en excelentes condiciones y no reflejar negativamente en la fundición.
  6. ¿Cómo afrontar los eventos subvencionados?
    La asamblea general de 2023 decidió que Foundry no solicitará financiación estructural, pero apoyará las solicitudes presentadas por otras personas si lo solicitan (pero ellos son responsables). Pero, ¿cómo garantizar que esto no genere conflictos por el dinero?
    Todo el mundo está de acuerdo en la necesidad de transparencia. Publicar una publicación de blog después del evento que mapee los flujos de dinero es una solución aceptable para eso. Pero si la gente utiliza Foundry como vehículo para solicitudes de subvenciones, quizás también debería haber un filtro. Puede ser un grupo de telegramas de personas interesadas en ‘curar’ Foundry, y que puedan ser contactados por personas que quieran realizar un evento. Voluntarios de este grupo: Pedro, Ofek, Estef, Dennis. También deberíamos poner un mensaje al respecto en el antiguo grupo de WhatsApp de Foundry Eventos.
  7. Ver 8.
  8. Eventos planificados para 2024 (aún no están confirmados).
    Finales de abril: Encuentro de homeschoolers de Galicia.
    15 de mayo: ¿San Isidro? Sería apropiado, ya que la iglesia cumple 400 años este año.
    Mayo/Junio: reunión de primavera Aldear (evento público).
    Junio/julio: Un grupo ha solicitado una beca de movilidad artística para que tres músicos y dos escritores vinieran a Foundry durante uno o dos meses.
    A partir de junio: Otro evento para instalar el molino de viento (después se podrán ajustar cuentas).
    Julio: Burn the Foundry.
    Agosto: Los animales con los que convivimos (grupo de lectura de textos sobre animales).
    Robert propone un torneo de petanca.
    Dennis quiere hacer noches de cine semanales (veáse punto 13).
    La gente es libre de proponer más eventos.

    Henk pregunta si es posible hacer eventos ‘cerrados’ y marcarlos en el calendario (él y Cris están interesados en hacer algunas cosas en este formato).
    Dennis cree que esto es posible, pero los residentes de larga duración no pueden ser excluidos de un evento cerrado. Parece haber acuerdo al respecto.
    También se habla de un hilo conductor en la planificación de eventos; ¿Quién lo hará sin tomar demasiado poder?
  9. ¿Ideas de quién quiere vivir en la furgoneta?
  10. ¿Nuevo invernadero?
    La experiencia nos ha enseñado que debido al cambio constante de residentes, la mayoría de los esfuerzos por cultivar cosas han sido en vano.
    Robert: Cultivas un jardín en tu casa porque vives aquí. Aquí la gente viene, hace algo y luego todo se vuelve a desmoronar.
    Mar: El jardín falla 70 veces al año. Quizás sea hora de renunciar a tener un jardín realmente productivo y mejor no gastar dinero en un invernadero.
    Julia propone hacer algo de permacultura aquí en función de nuestras necesidades y capacidades, haciendo algo muy discreto que pueda convertirse en algo más productivo en el futuro. Quizás pueda venir una vez al mes para ayudar con esto. También podría basarse más en eventos en el futuro (¿eventos agroforestales en Foundry?).
  11. ¿Cómo organizar mejor el sistema de voluntariado?
    Mar: Lo hemos visto muchas veces. La gente viene, dice que hará algo, pero sabe que no hacerlo no tiene consecuencias, así que no lo hace. Sugerencia: La gente fija sus objetivos por semana o por mes, luego si no los cumplen (y no tienen una buena razón) pagan por ese período.
    Pedro: Mejor con un escrow; Pagan 500e por adelantado y los recuperan si hicieron el trabajo.
    Robert: Distinguir entre los que vienen con su propio proyecto y los que trabajan para la casa.
    Henk: Lo ideal sería contar con voluntarios con una motivación intrínseca; que trabajan en el proyecto porque sienten que es un buen proyecto. ¿Quién se asegurará de que otros hagan su trabajo? ¿Cómo motivar al directivo? Quizás sea mejor si le pagan a alguien para que organice las cosas básicas.
    Dennis: Paso mucho tiempo persiguiendo a la gente, diciéndoles que hagan lo que dijeron que harían. Es un trabajo de mierda.
    Estef: Quizás el lugar no debería tener ningún voluntario. No es bueno para Foundry ni para ellos. A menudo, las personas que atrae son personas con pocas opciones diferentes, y esa no es la audiencia que queremos mantener en Foundry.
    Dennis: Pero entonces, ¿quién va a hacer el trabajo que ahora realizan los voluntarios (mantener vivos a los animales, dar la bienvenida a nueva gente, realizar el mantenimiento básico, asegurarse de que alguien viva allí)? Ahora mismo no hay dinero para un cuidador.
    Henk: Quizás el lugar necesite financiación estructural (subvención) en lugar de estar gestionado por voluntarios.
    Dennis: Eso significaría revocar una decisión de la última asamblea general, que necesita un consenso bastante amplio. Yo tampoco apoyaría un cambio como ese (pero tampoco lo bloquearía), y es importante saber lo que implica: mucho papeleo, cheques de cuentas bancarias, etc.
    Pedro: Si vas por ahí te vuelves burócrata.
    Ofek: No es bueno atraer a personas que están allí porque no pueden pagar el alquiler. Sin embargo, los voluntarios deben ser evaluados caso por caso, no pueden abarcarlo todo en reglas.
    Mar: Es necesario tener alguien que supervise a los voluntarios.
    Esta se convierte en una discusión larga pero productiva. Está claro que se necesita una mayor contabilidad y una estructura clara.
  12. ¿Cómo atraer más gente en invierno?
    No sabemos. ¿Más eventos?
  13. Cómo mantener a los vecinos involucrados.
    Ha habido personas que se han alejado del proyecto debido a luchas internas y daños emocionales. La cuestión en torno al Grupo de Cuidados que se fundó en la última asamblea general es un ejemplo de ello. Pero, como dice Henk, todos todavía estamos aquí tratando de sacar algo de esto.
    La gente responde positivamente a la idea de Dennis de organizar eventos recurrentes (noches de cine, cenas).
    Estef es partidario de una asamblea de la nueva presidencia distribuida (ver punto 14) cada pocos meses.
  14. ¿Nuevo presidente? Dennis quiere menos responsabilidades.
    Estef propone una presidencia distribuida. Lauriña, Cris, Estef, quizás Henk (se lo pensará), Mar, Ofek, Oly, Roberto y Dennis quieren formar parte de este grupo. Pero el grupo debe tener una jerarquía clara y puede delegar tareas. Estef pondrá en marcha este grupo.
  15. Varios.
    Henk pide si puede recoger la valla que instaló cuando había gallinas (y que pagó de su propio bolsillo); nadie tiene problema con eso.

Comments are closed.